Editor’s Note: This is reprinted from something Gloria Steinem wrote. Men who declare themselves “feminist” (which only means that they believe in the social, political and economical equality of women) actually can benefit from the inclusion as well. It’s win-win!
Thanks to all who have contributed to Men Against Assholes and Misogyny MA’AM
and please encourage yourself and your male friends to submit essays and videos to the website. You can be of any race, creed, sexual identity or orientation, career, etc. We just want to read essays or watch videos where men announce their support for women in what still continues to be a fight for equality in ways insidious and seemingly small to big ways - like not accepting so cynically that our country allies itself with nations who enslave women.
ANYWAY - think of it as a “It Gets Better” movement - don’t feel that you can’t say anything new. It’s okay if you can’t. This movement is about QUANTITY and VOLUME. So many women write me that they love the site because they just love the sheer AMOUNT of men who make them feel less insane by reading. Be part of the movement - you don’t have to define it or change it. Just join hands.
Here’s how to submit to MA’AM:
Ten Ways Feminism Benefits Men by Gloria Steinem
10. Through feminism, men are liberated from stereotypes, too.
9. Women’s skills are required to raise children. But, men have them too.
8. Men have been shortchanged by being told to marry someone who can cook rather than someone who can be a companion. “I’m sure that men who have been trained essentially to marry their housekeepers were lonely,” Steinem said.
7. The women’s movement can increase a man’s life by an average of four years. Steinem said that if men were to eliminate causes of death typically attributed to masculine roles, including deaths from violence, speeding and tension-related disease, their life expectancy would almost equal women’s.
6. Boys can remain close to their mothers.
5. If men aren’t hooked on dominance and hierarchy with other men, they are saved from the self-loathing that comes from the need for control.
4. Laughter can once again become commonplace, even in serious rituals. “In ancient cultures like Wilma’s, seriousness and laughter are not separate,” said Steinem.
3. Men can continue discovering talents, without being divorced from them.
2. Sex and race are intertwined. You can’t uproot one without the other. “There’s really no such thing as being a feminist without being an antiracist,” she said.
1. Eliminating the sexual caste system – the cult of femininity and masculinity – eliminates the root cause of almost all violence.